October 20 @ 8:00 am – October 22 @ 5:00 pm
Taranaki Tū Mai is a biennial event where iwi of Taranaki come together to celebrate Taranakitanga, Whanaungatanga and Whakapapa through Hākinakina (sport), Kapa Haka (cultural performances) and Wānanga (learning forums). This is the fifth Taranaki Tū Mai Festival to be held, following the hosting in 2009 by Te Ātiawa at Waitara, 2011 by Taranaki Iwi at Parihaka 2013 by Ngā Rauru Kītahi at Waverley & 2015 Ngāti Mutunga at Urenui.
The aim of Taranaki Tū Mai is to promote and celebrate Māori unity in Taranaki. Taranaki Tū Mai offers something for everyone, from our mokopuna to our kaumātua. It allows for whanaungatanga to be practised, valued and experienced inter-generationally, and with other whānau, hapū and iwi.
Taranaki Tū Mai will take place from Friday 20th October – Sunday 22nd October 2017 (Labour Weekend).
The pōwhiri for the Taranaki Tū Mai Festival will be on Friday 20th November 2017, 3pm at Waiokura Marae, Winks Road, Manaia.
- Golf 9 holes – no coordinator required: Still require players (two teams of 4) age mix, open, open gender
- Tennis – no coordinator required: Need 1 more female (two teams – doubles only 1M 1F)
- Outdoor Bowls – Agnes Wharehoka coordinating: Have plenty of players (two teams – pairs, fours)
- Rugby Sevens – Karlos Drinkwater/Te Kere Davey coordinating: Need players need to be 16+ years M & F
- Rugby League Nines – Toka Walden? coordinating: Need players need to be 16+ years Male only
- Touch – need a coordinator: Need 2 more female & 1 more male
- Ki-o-rahi – Leanne Horo? coordinating: Need players need to be 12+ years M & F
- Tug-o-war – Dennis Ngawhare 1 / Saphron Ngaia 2 coordinating: Have plenty of players (two teams of 10+)
- Scavenger Hunt – need coordinators: Need 2 more players
- Darts – Patrick Phillips coordinating: Need 3 more players (two teams)
- Netball – wāhine – Kerena Wano coordinating: Need 3 more players
- Netball – mixed – Jan Manu coordinating: Have plenty of players
- Basketball – mixed – Janine Luke-Taamaru/TianaVai Luke-Taamaru coordinating and scoreboard: Have plenty of players
- Tautohetohe / Debating – David Mahutonga? coordinating: Need 3 more (1 being U16 years)
- Iwi Bandstand – Shirleen Ngawhare coordinating: Currently have 7 but the more the merrier (20 minutes)
- Tamariki Games – Hinenui Wano-Bryant coordinating: 0-14 years (unlimited numbers)
- Kaumatua / Paheke Games – no coordinator required: Currently have 8 but the more the merrier
- Kapahaka (Sunday) – Puna Wano-Bryant coordinating: Te Moungaroa Kapahaka
For most of the sport, the Taranaki Iwi kakahu singlets/tee or polo’s should be worn. Rugby & League its recommended the ‘coordinators’ organise jerseys. Angie will inform the coordinators what ‘supplies’ are required for each sporting event (eg Golf require own clubs, balls and tees).
Please ‘register’ $5.00 and U12 years ‘free’ (but still need to register). Contact Angie for ‘registration forms’.
Waiokura Marae, Winks Road, Manaia (sharing with Te Kotahitanga o Te Atiawa Iwi) $20 Adult | “koha” Kids
AT THE EVENT
Te Kāhui o Taranaki Iwi will have gazebo’s set up at the Manaia Sports Complex as a whānaunga meeting point and cover gear (but you are responsible for the safety of your personal property).